Here are a few suggestions that will go a long way.
1. Get a Facebook account and register your blog at Facebook’s Networked Blogs page. You can encourage other Facebook users to share your blog posts.
2. Use Google’s webmaster tools to ensure that Google will spider and list your blog.
3. Have Facebook, Twitter and other social networking options on your website.
4. Use tags and descriptive titles for your page header. Search engines love lots of dialogue.
5. Create a Facebook Fan Page for your blog. Then invite your Facebook friends to become fans. Be careful how you choose to classify it. When you have 25+ fans, you can go to
http://www.facebook.com/username to choose a shortened username for the fan page.